• 9064820067
  • rnlkcollege@gmail.com
Raja Narendralal Khan Women's College, RNLK logo

Raja Narendra Lal Khan Women's College

Re-accredited with grade ‘A’ by NAAC
Autonomous

Our Legacy

Raja NarendraLal Khan Women's College is a rural college situated in a backward Junglemahalarea of Kankabati Gram Panchayat, PaschimMedinipur district. The administrative building of the college, called heGope Palace was built during the time of Raja NarendraLal Khan, the king of Narajole in 1895. Raja NarendraLal Khan supported the Indian Freedom movement and contributed immensely in many works related to supporting underground organization who were revolutionary groups fighting against the British Raj and also in many projects like setting up of indigeneous industries and purification plants for providing drinking water to Midnapore town. According to some historians, he supported Khudiram Bose the famous revolutionary and also gave financial assistance to HemchandraKanungo for visiting Paris to learn the technique of bomb making. many Later, due to the active role of his son Raja DebendraLal Khan in the freedom movement and as a member of the Indian National Congress, this palace was visited by many stalwarts like Mahatma Gandhi who stayed in this palace twice, DeshbandhuChittaranjan Das, PanditJawaharLal Nehru, NetajiSubhas Chandra Bose, Smt Kamala Nehru and Smt Indira Gandhi. Paintings by HemchandraKanungo, the famous revolutionary is displayed in the palace along with many rare photographs and antic items. Eminent scholars like AcharyaPrafullya Chandra Roy and Sarat Chandra Chattopadhya also visited this palace. The palace has been declared as a Heritage Building by the West Bengal Heritage Commission (Act IX of 2001).

Milestone

Event Year
Initiation of the College as IA (Intermediate Arts)/ISc. (Intermediate Science)&Degree College 1957
UGC 2f & 12B Approval and affiliation to Calcutta University 1957
Introduction of different science departments 1960 onwards..
Initiation of Honours courses in different subjects 1962 onwards..
Affiliation to Vidyasagar University 1986
Initiation of 2nd Campus 1998
Introduction of NetajiSubhas Open University (NSOU) 1998
NAAC Accreditation 1st cycle: ‘A’ grade 2004
Introduction of PG Course in Zoology – First PG course initiated in college level under Vidyasagar University 2004
Received BSR (Basic Science Research) grant 2009
NAAC Re-accreditation 2nd cycle: ‘A’ grade 2011
Received CPE (Centre for Potential of Excellence) from UGC 2011
Received DST-FIST grant 2012
Received DBT STAR Status 2014
Received RUSA grant 2015
Initiation of extension programme – We Care adopting tribal children of adjacent villages. 2016
PG Courses in Physiology, History, Mathematics and Bengali 2016
NAAC Re-accreditation 3rd cycle: ‘A’ grade 2016
PG Courses in Sanskrit and Computer Science 2017
All India NIRF Ranking – 97th 2017
Govt. sponsored Skill development courses 2018
The college has been selected to admit foreign students under Study in India Programme by MHRD, Govt. of India 2018