About the Department
The college is located in the backward region of Jangal Mahal area in Paschim Medinipur district. Most of the students of the Department come from the rural areas of Paschim Medinipur, Purba Medinipur, Bankura and Purulia districts. The total campus area of the college is 1,88,524.5 sq. m. Presently the college has the built-up area of 30,619.11 sq. m increased by 7.4% from the previous accreditation period of 2011. The Department was initiated with the initiation of the college under the affiliation of University of Calcutta in the year 1957 as Economic Geography offering only General Course until 1961.
In 1962, Geography Honours achieved its own identity as a distinct discipline at UG level and the proper foundation of the Department came into being. Late Prof. Sabitri Mukherjee was the founder teacher since its inception. This college is one of those few colleges in the state which offered Geography Honours shortly after the independence of the country. The college was affiliated to Calcutta University until 1985 and it got affiliation to Vidyasagar University in 1986. The Department has grown rapidly since its inception and arrived at the present position. The college got the UGC recognition of 2f and 12 (B) in the year 31.03.1995 and 01.03.1990 respectively
At present the department tenders Under Graduation both in Hons. and Gen. (Annual Examination System) and Post Graduation course in Geography under Netaji Subhas Open University [NSOU] (since 2007) in Distance Education mode.